The Wakefield Angiography Suite (Catheter Lab) provides fluoroscopic and angiographic services for seven Cardiologists, two Radiologists and a Gastroenterologist.
These Consultants utilise session times on a weekly roster system generally between the hours of 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays. An on call service is provided Monday to Friday until midnight.
Bookings are made through the Wakefield Heart Centre or through the Angiography Suite Charge Nurse.
Procedures (although predominately cardiac) include:
- Cardiac catheterisation
- Coronary angioplasty/ stenting
- Right and Left Heart studies
- Pacemaker implantation
- Reveal Recorder implantations and removals
- Insertion of intra-aortic balloons
- Balloon mitral valvuloplasties
- Renal Denervations
- Pelvic and femoral arteriograms / angioplasty/ stenting
- Arch and carotid arteriograms/ angioplasty/ stenting
- Renal arteriograms / angioplasty/ stenting
- Hepatic arteriograms
- Treatment of vascular anomalies
- Ovarian vein embolisations
- Biliary dilatation/ drainage/ stenting
- Portacath insertions
- Esophageal dilatation/ stenting
- Pericardial taps
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closures
- Atrial Septal Defect Closures
- Fistula Embolisations
- Ureteric Stenting
The client base utilising the services of the Cath Lab are from Taranaki through to Invercargill. The patients are usually elective but occasionally acute. Generally patients are admitted on an in-patient basis to the Hospital. However those procedures not requiring arterial access are often done as outpatients. Patients may be self paying, insured or contract patients.
The laboratory is staffed by specialist Interventional Nurses, Medical Radiation Technologists and Cardiac Technologists.