Free parking is provided within the hospital grounds. Please note that Wakefield accepts no responsibility for car security.
Operating Theatre and Recovery
The operating suite comprises 7 theatres and a 10-bed recovery unit fully equipped to meet the requirements of modern surgery. In 2009, two state of the art digital theatres were commissioned to support the Wakefield Hospital theatre complex.
Day Stay Unit
The Day Stay Unit is a shared accommodation wing of the hospital which provides specialised care for procedures which are shorter in nature and may require only a few hours or overnight accommodation.
Click the links below for more information on the associated facilities:
Intensive Care (ICU) and High Dependency Care (HDU)
These special care units provide post-operative intensive and high dependency care including coronary care. They feature the latest monitoring equipment and are used for patients who have undergone complex surgery or procedures and emergency care if necessary.
Accommodation for Family and Visitors
Wakefield Hospital has a limited number of standard apartments on site which can be booked for family if required. These units sleep up to four people and must be booked through our reception prior to your hospital admission.
Admission into these units is at any time after 1:00pm and we request that your family and/or visitors vacate their unit by 10:00am on the morning of your discharge unless prior arrangements have been made for a longer stay. Motel rates apply to these units.
It is possible, in some rooms, for a support person to stay overnight with you in your hospital room. However, this requires the agreement of the Nurse Manager on the ward and is subject to room availability. Please contact us before your admission to request this. There is an associated rooming-in fee.
Apartment facilities include:
- One bedroom with two single beds and a double sofa bed (sleeps 2) in lounge
- Ensuite bathroom
- Open plan kitchen/living
- Sky TV
- Telephone and a direct connection to patient rooms
- Daily servicing
- Kitchen facilities or use of the hospital cafeteria
- Parking available in the hospital grounds
- A smoke-free policy applies throughout the hospital, grounds and apartments
The hospital cafeteria can provide family and visitors with food from 9:00am to 2:00pm Monday to Friday and evening meals are available if ordered and paid for prior to 3:00pm.
At Wakefield we endeavour to give our patients a choice of room to suit their needs. Irrespective of your choice, you will receive the same high standard of nursing care. Overnight patients have a choice (subject to availability and appropriate to your operation) of a private room with ensuite bathroom, or a studio room with shared bathroom.
If you are a day patient, you will be cared for in a studio room unless you have requested a private room (subject to availability on the day). Our fees vary accordingly and will be confirmed when we talk with you prior to your admission.
There are 48 private rooms with ensuite, five ICU/HDU beds, three endoscopy beds, 15 studio beds with shared facilities and five La-Z-Boy chairs for short-stay and pre-admission patients.
All patients’ rooms have private TV (Sky), radio and telephone, and a complimentary copy of the daily newspaper is provided. For those patients who wish to remain connected during their stay, free WiFi Internet connectivity is available for use with your laptop, tablet or smartphone.
Our menus are carefully selected to provide you with a choice of meals each day, served in your room. A selection of snacks is also available. If you require a special diet please notify the nursing staff well in advance in order that the Food Services team can carry out your wishes.
Meals are served at approximately the following times:
- Breakfast – 8:00am
- Lunch – midday
- Dinner – 6:00pm
If you miss a meal for any reason, simple meals are available on request outside of these hours until 7:00pm.
Tea and coffee-making facilities are available on each floor.
Your visitors will be able to purchase snacks from the cafeteria between 9:00am and 2:00pm Monday – Friday. Evening meals are also available and should be ordered and paid for directly with the cafeteria by 3:00pm.
The Pharmacy Department at Wakefield Hospital offers clinical, educational and supply services to the hospital. The experienced staff fulfill an important clinical role in supporting all departments for any pharmaceutical related information.
- Monday to Friday 7:00am – 4:00pm
- P: (04) 381 8100 (Extn 5916)
Wakefield Hospital has the following outpatient clinics:
- Wakefield Specialist Medical Centre
- Wakefield Sports Medicine Clinic
- Wakefield Heart Centre
- Wakefield Gastroenterology Centre
Outlying clinics operate at Kapiti and Waikanae under the Wakefield umbrella, and many of our specialists consult as far afield as Palmerston North, Auckland and Christchurch.
Wakefield Specialist Medical Centre (WSMC)
The Wakefield Specialist Medical Centre adjoining the hospital provides specialist consulting rooms as well as laboratory, physiotherapy and radiology facilities. Contact details of specialists who hold clinical privileges at Wakefield Hospital and have rooms in the WSMC can be accessed via the link provided:
- Mr David Abernethy, Neurologist
- Mr Campbell Baguley, Otolaryngologist (ENT)
- Mr Simon Bann, Upper GI and Laparoscopic Surgeon
- Dr Nick Bedford, Gynaecologist
- Dr Grant Bellaney, Dermatologist
- Mr Brendon Bowkett, Paediatric Surgeon and Urologist
- Mr Jon Cleary, Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Mr Gareth Coulter, Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Ms Elizabeth Dennett, Colorectal Surgeon
- Mr Peter Devane, Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Dr Nicola Hay, Renal Physician
- Mr Martin Hunn, Neurosurgeon
- Mrs Hanifa Koya, Gynaecologist
- Mr Fali Langdana, Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
- Mr Andrew Parker, Neurosurgeon
- Mr Tony Phang, General Surgeon
- Mr Simon Robinson, Sinus and Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Dr Michael Strettel, Gastroenterologist and Endoscopist
- Assoc Prof William Taylor, Rheumatologist
- Mr Justin Travers, Respiratory Physician
- Dr Latha Vasan, Gynaecologist
- Dr Mithra (Vijay) Vijayasenan, Psychiatrist
- Mr Graeme Webster, Otolaryngologist Head and Neck Surgeon
- Mr Agadha Wickremesekera, Neurosurgeon
- Mr Kusal Wickremesekera, Upper GI and Laparoscopic Surgeon